Pyrolysis

Now that you have modded the hell outta your ride, you have to find a way to get your car to stick to the ground. Talk about the different types of tires used here.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

gull
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Pyrolysis

Post by gull »

Had never heard of this before, but it's pretty startling. The dangers of applying heat to a wheel with a mounted tire:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBUVzgCHHuA
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Re: Pyrolysis

Post by kamzcab86 »

Common sense isn't so common... or, pay attention in science class, kids! Applying heat to what is essentially a sealed container filled with a gas, particularly a volatile gas = explosion. Pretty impressive video. :thumbup:

Speaking of heat: Have your DVOM ready with its temperature probe connected and after driving with a lot of braking, take a look at what your brake and wheel temps are. I did this after a recent brake replacement on the Vanagon... wow, is all I can say. :shock:
gull
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Re: Pyrolysis

Post by gull »

I understand the pressure/temperature relationship. What surprised me is that the temperature and pressure could keep going up after the original heat source is removed!

Re brake temps...I've worked finish control at night time rally stages, and it's not unusual for cars coming off a stage to have brake disks that are glowing red hot.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force