Help Wanted

Now that you have modded the hell outta your ride, you have to find a way to get your car to stick to the ground. Talk about the different types of tires used here.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

Elbow grease, magic erasers, bonami and a soft bush.

but they are a pain on the up keep, I prefer black.... :)

BTW that pic is the first time I got to drive the car after having to replace the crank do to the previous owners neferious mechanic.

The wonderful owners of this site donated the crank for me to get it going.

You can read the thread faging won't start. I had only had the car about 3 weeks when the crank pully backed off because of a bad repair job.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by Calimus »

Brian is the master of the eye catching topic titles around here. 8)
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Old Screaming Eagle

Post by Old Screaming Eagle »

Speaking of pictures and that I don't have a way to send them, go to
http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publish/ ... _869.shtml

At the bottom of the page is a picture of my 56 ragtop that was taken at a Nashville Eurofest gethering a year or so ago.

I've been going thru some of the older parts of the forum and have really enjoyed it. So many good articles and "how to" things in here. Very good stuff and educational.

The Old Eagle
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

:shock: Wow! Your '56 is simply beautiful!!! 8)
Old Screaming Eagle

Thank you Kammy, I guess the 56 is my favorite in my small collection. I really don't drive it much but its just like new. Still is all stock with the 36 hp engine.

Been rainy here for a couple of days so I haven't gotten to do anything on the Cabby. With the rain I did detect a leak right where the first fold of the top is at. Seems the rubber doesn't meet at the joint. Maybe just a small adjustment huh?

The Old Eagle
kuklaki
Admin Type Person

Post by kuklaki »

Wait a minute!! You are in Nashville, by any chance have you taken the trip to any of the Bug-A-Palooza's in Chattanooga??

By the way, I love Ghia's too. I have a 1971 coupe which I think I am sadly ready to find another home for. I just have too many projects to finish that arent getting done, and I hate to see her just sitting outside getting rusty :(
2nd 89 Cabriolet 8v (Crabby Cabby)
01 Jetta GLX (bun warmer)
87 Scirocco 16v (TWINS!)
71 Karmann Ghia (air sucker)
03 New Beetle turbo S (black widow)
01 Suzuki SV650 (go nekkid)
Old Screaming Eagle

Oh yeah, I go to the Bug-A-Palooza show every year. I've only shown once but I go each year. This pass year (rain and mud) I sold some old parts I had laying around. Did pretty good too.

Do you go to Bug-A-Palooza? It is becoming a very good and larger show each year. I also go to both shows in Sevierville each year.
kuklaki
Admin Type Person

Post by kuklaki »

Yes, we also go every year. We've been going since it was held in the parking lot of the VW dealership.

Last year was crazy with the rain and mud!!! We camped, and it was near miserable-I have never been so muddy before in my life, LOL.

Here are some pics of our crew, maybe you even saw us or our cars there.

I cannot wait until next year's show. You'll have to stick around here for a while, and make sure we get a chance to meet you. We usually camp out every year-that is the most fun, since I look at the show as a chance to meet up with friends. As great as the show is and as much as I look forward to it every year, it's less of a show for us than a gathering of some great people.

We used to go to the one in Sevierville but havent been in years. Once we stopped bringing the aircooled, we got some real aircooled snobbery from some of the attendees. Since we truly love both air and water VW's I found that a bit of a turnoff and just stuck to going to BAP.
2nd 89 Cabriolet 8v (Crabby Cabby)
01 Jetta GLX (bun warmer)
87 Scirocco 16v (TWINS!)
71 Karmann Ghia (air sucker)
03 New Beetle turbo S (black widow)
01 Suzuki SV650 (go nekkid)
Old Screaming Eagle

Sorry to say but I didn't see hardly any of the cars at BAP. As I stated earlier, I sold parts this year so I have to stay right with my trailer and goods. That's the only bad part about selling parts, you have to stay right with them.

Yep, I'll be going again next year and it will be a pleasure to meet y'all. I will be in contact with you before the next BAP.

Hey, y'all had some beautiful cars there. Hope they didn't get all muddy but I can't see how they kept from it.

My club had our tent (sun-rain screen) sit up there at the far end of the parking lot, the end near the stage. It is the Middle Tennessee Volkswagen Club. I was the President for 13 years and 2 years ago just sort of got burned out and didn't run for office but like a fool I've accepted the Presidents job again for next year. Seems like I would learn doesn't it?

But yes, I'll be at BAP and looking forward to meeting some of the TRF folks there.

The Old Eagle
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Maybe this year my cars will behave............ maybe not as usual..
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
Old Screaming Eagle

Brian, do you also attend BAP in Chattanooga?

Tell me, where do you buy your Bonami? I checked at two or three stores this weekend and couldn't find it. I did buy some magic erasers and I have the elbow grease ready to go.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

I have tried for a couple of years to attend the BAP in chatanooga but this year sucked, as my White one got Creamed in the ass before it was to be painted... Thankfully, then I bought another in FLA and that developed in to having to drop the crank for replacement.... See Farging won't start...

The year before I was having heart surgery... so that put the nix on that.

I was a SVF the year before last. That is where I first met Juan, and William and Cristine... and her lovely dent removal tool...:)

You have to look for bon ami. I usually see it in a Ace Hardware store in either a powder (like a old comet can) or in bar form.

Also I usually take the cards off and clean them in the house and use warm water in the kitchen sink... as the little sprayer hose works great and I don't have to keep sucking the dirt off with towels...

http://www.bonami.com/history/
Briano

Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Brian, you are going this year come hell or high-water (or high mud in the case of BAP last year)

Cristine and I are actually thinking about not showing this year as we haven't done much to the cars and hate showing when there really hasn't been any improvement. However, we are still planning on going. If your cars miss-behave again, will rig up a tow system and haul your bunny with one of the rocco's or the jetta.

I don't think we are going to camp this year though. 6 years running sleeping on the ground and I think I'm finally get too old for that ish. Close by hotel is looking real good right now.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Old Screaming Eagle

Hey Calimus, I have stayed at the Holiday Inn and also the Best Value just as you are entering the park. Both are OK but the Best Value at the parks gate is very convenient. Very reasonable also, think I paid $49.00 this year.
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

That sounds great. I say we all see about making reservations as soon as BAP is announced. Definitly looking to stay dry this year.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C