Coopers on my cab

Now that you have modded the hell outta your ride, you have to find a way to get your car to stick to the ground. Talk about the different types of tires used here.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

lowredcabrio
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Coopers on my cab

Post by lowredcabrio »

well, i guess too late to ask about them but my dad got Cooper all seasons, the 190 T i think. theyre rated at i think like 120,000km so theyll last until i get the car, at least i hope. :D any experiences with them?
Lukai
check out my cabby here
|c|a|b|b|y| My Anti-Drug
kuklaki
Admin Type Person
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by kuklaki »

awww I thought this was going to be about MINI Coopers :?
2nd 89 Cabriolet 8v (Crabby Cabby)
01 Jetta GLX (bun warmer)
87 Scirocco 16v (TWINS!)
71 Karmann Ghia (air sucker)
03 New Beetle turbo S (black widow)
01 Suzuki SV650 (go nekkid)
lowredcabrio

Post by lowredcabrio »

aww, im sorry. im not that cool! :(
Lukai
check out my cabby here
|c|a|b|b|y| My Anti-Drug
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

cooper is a well respected name (and I do mean the tires). While I don't have any personal experience, I've known folks that used them and for every day driving, they should do just fine.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
BigDaddy90Cabby
Exploited Staff Member

Post by BigDaddy90Cabby »

I used to use cooper cobras on my Heavy Chevy truck in high school... and with the small block 400 that I had in it, and as often i I smoked the tires, they lasted for a good couple months for me... i have cooper tires on my wifes car... are only tires i fully trust.
Jimmy
1990 Cabby
Corpus Christi, TX

http://www.cardomain.com/id/bigdaddyjimmyjam
"That's funny, I don't care who you are, that's funny!"
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

COOPER tires are about the only American tires that are from and AMERICAN owned company....hey they used to sponsor Paul Harvey...GOOD......day. He was long noted for not putting his name to an inferior product. Frome folks that I know that have bought them, no worries. just keep them clean, and spray both sides with 303 aerospace, and they should last you 1ooK
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Bridestone/Firestone are all I will buy. Especially after having a flat tire on my brand new Golf.

It appears that Goodyear (the supplier of tires for the car) does NOT provide a road hazard warrenty on tires for brand new cars.

In short Goodyear won't back their own product.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

thats actually a dealer issue. The dealer buys them form Goodyear in a similair mannor as we do. They can choose to buy the road hazzard or not even though they are on the car from the factory. The dealer could easily approche GY and get a program going but I wouldn't expect to ever see it. What they want to for you to get the VW road side assistance, which actually comes complimenarty with many cars now for about a year.

All in all, it's a money making world out there and just about all the free lunches are gone.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
CalAltaDubber

Post by CalAltaDubber »

The VW Roadside Assistance is part of the warrenty and is valid for four years from the vehicle "in service date" (date first owner takes delivery).

It is just like having AAA/CAA so the only benifit is they will come and change a mounted tire (spare) or tow the car.

Appearenty the deal is between VW and Goodyear. GY claims that Road Hazzard Warrenty is seperate from the tire purchase and that the car buyer must ask and pay extra for it at the time of sale.

VW meanwhile claims that tire warrenty is the sole responsability of the tire manufacturer (different tire manufacturers are contracted to supply tires for any given car type).

In the end it cost me $200 for a new tire for a new car that I have owned for 4500 km.
Phil

'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI

Image Image
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

$200 :shock:

What kind of tires are you putting on that thing?? I can get Yokohama AVS 100ES's for the jetta for $83. So I hope you were picking up a super-performance tire and not a mid-level GY like what comes on the car.

Matter of fact, I can't even find a tire for more then $167. Figure mount & Balance only add's another $10.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
lowredcabrio

Post by lowredcabrio »

WOW! those must have been some nice tires! im glad these will do. first day of snwo today and they handled like new adidas! :lol:
Lukai
check out my cabby here
|c|a|b|b|y| My Anti-Drug
lowredcabrio

Post by lowredcabrio »

o yeah, of course, also came with the road hazard warranty which im sure does not hurt at all. :thumbup:
Lukai
check out my cabby here
|c|a|b|b|y| My Anti-Drug
CalAltaDubber

Post by CalAltaDubber »

First you have to remember that the Canadian Dollar is only 85 cents US.

All new VWs come equipped with H rated tires. Which are more expensive and cannot be mixed with other types of radial tires (sorta like mixing radials and bias ply tires).

The break down is something like this (I have the invoice at home):

Tire $175
Sale Discount -$25
Mount/Balance $12.95
Recycle Fee (charged on all new tires) $4.
Shop Charges $2
Stem and Valve Core $2.50
Goods and Service Tax $12.

Total $183.95

On top of that, the local Goodyear dealer had to order the tire in from Vancouver so it took a few days to get it.
Phil

'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI

Image Image
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

My god, thats horrible. Check and see if http://www.tirerack.com Will deliver to you. Lots of times, they run free shipping deals, but shipping on 4 tires is grenerally about $50-$60. Like I said, $83us for a high end Yoko. Even with the shipping, mount & balance and the disposal fee, you'd come out a good bit cheaper I think.

Anything is worth a look into right?
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

Are you sure that they didn't order it from ACMEscrewandtire.com? As fas as the valve stem, you shouldn't of needed one because the one on the car didn't have wear on it for the mileage. And if they argue about the tire warranty what does a valve stem have to do with wear and tear on the tire.

I argued with a dealer that 19 bucks for tire mounting was about 200 per hour, and that I wasn't going to pay that. I had him cornered by it and got the mounting and balanceing down to about 5 bucks per tire. They have room to discount.

Never ever do I ever pay full price if you had tires that is 52 bucks. That is all you would pay at wally world for balance stem and road hazard for all 4.

Little known fact Wally world if you treat them the right way will order you any tire.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy: