hydraulic clutch maybe?

If you are going to go anywhere, better make sure your tranny can handle the load. Gear changes for the power hungry should be talked about here. Is that a LSD I see in your pocket?

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

theonlychuck
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

hydraulic clutch maybe?

Post by theonlychuck »

first question is, can put a hydraulic clutch in a cabby? if so, is it a real pain and how expensive do you think it would be (approx)? finally, would just replacing my clutch cable with a new one help out much? thanks guys, the one i have currently is becomming a pain...litterally =]
-=(chuck)=-
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

It is probably gonna be a major paine to put in a hydralic clutch. you would have ot have a mount from the bottom, and a slave cylinder..the lines, then reworking the pedals ot accomodate.

The cable is about a 30 minute job, and does wonders, but I really think that if you are having hard clutching that your feed thru tube is being cut into by the cable. You will have to knock it out and turn it over. On the vwvortex there are many threads to explaine this condition.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy
What year is your cabby?: 1991

Post by sixsracing »

Yes it can be done, IMHO it's not worth it. Lucas/Girling manufactured a complete universal pedal assy. with both brake and clutch cylinders in place and it was fairly inexpensive.($150.00?) The cost of making everything fit correctly and running new lines in itself would make the job cost prohibitive compared to a simple cable/housing replacement. I have seen a few Rabbits with reservoirs mounted on the firewall but don't know what they used for components.
91 Cabriolet, red w/white
86 Cabriolet white/white (oldest daughter)
97 Golf, black (youngest daughter)
98 Beetle, red
94 Cabrio, dark green (oldest son)
Cogito Ergo Zoom
theonlychuck

Post by theonlychuck »

i was thinking about it, and i don't really mind the clutch, maybe it's just not adjusted right. i was reading on the tex some and that's the conclusion i came to. it grinds when i drop it into reverse and sometimes when i throw it into 2nd. i'll look at it this weekend and hopefully have an easier clutch =] (it wasn't this bad before, but now i'm developing a sore spot on the ball of my foot =P )
-=(chuck)=-
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

Sounds more like the tranny is low on gear oil, or the syncro's are worn. But it could be the clutch too I guess. Best to try the easy stuff first.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
theonlychuck

Post by theonlychuck »

hmmm maybe i was just on crack the other day. drove her today and it was fine...i'm still gonna take a look at it this weekend hopefully. anyone have any suggestions on a good degreaser? my engine is filthy as hell.
-=(chuck)=-
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

de greaser? Gunk.....and scotch brite pads, like sos but nylon and won't scratch the paint...just the junk......

remember to cover your connectors.....
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy
What year is your cabby?: 1991

Post by sixsracing »

Zep makes a good degreaser called Zep 50. Most people use it for concrete floors but it works really well as an engine degreaser and can be split for a 50/50 concentration with water. Find at most janitorial supply houses. Yellow gallon jug with blue text.
91 Cabriolet, red w/white
86 Cabriolet white/white (oldest daughter)
97 Golf, black (youngest daughter)
98 Beetle, red
94 Cabrio, dark green (oldest son)
Cogito Ergo Zoom