No looking back for the Crabby Cabby

If you are going to go anywhere, better make sure your tranny can handle the load. Gear changes for the power hungry should be talked about here. Is that a LSD I see in your pocket?

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

kuklaki
Admin Type Person
What year is your cabby?: 1989

No looking back for the Crabby Cabby

Post by kuklaki »

At least she doesnt think so. Apparently she decided to play a new trick on me. She has been begging for suspension for so long and I have been ignoring her pleas, so she decided to teach me who was boss.

This morning I go out the garage to head out to work, try to engage reverse-no go. I can get her in every other gear except reverse. :evil:

I call up the hubby who has been driving the Toyota since the Rocco needs a lil work, and tell him the problem. He thinks it is an evil scheme of mine to put the Rocco under my butt, since I have been known to beg it off him now and then. So he comes home tonight only to concur that reverse just 'aint happening.

I suppose I know what this household will be busy doing this weekend.
2nd 89 Cabriolet 8v (Crabby Cabby)
01 Jetta GLX (bun warmer)
87 Scirocco 16v (TWINS!)
71 Karmann Ghia (air sucker)
03 New Beetle turbo S (black widow)
01 Suzuki SV650 (go nekkid)
1lowcab
DropTop Pimp
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by 1lowcab »

I suppose I know what this household will be busy doing this weekend
you need to put the garage cam back up so we can watch! :D
If you can't beat them, drop the top and pimp by 'em!

85 Mercedes 500SEL grey market euro
Bunch of GM crap
In need of a VW lol
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy
What year is your cabby?: 1991

Post by sixsracing »

Have you been having any problem with reverse before this? I have seen clutches out of adjustment that will make this symptom pop up. You did just have this car all apart, new clutch cable, new clutch, all could have worn in and be out of adjustment. Just a thought.
91 Cabriolet, red w/white
86 Cabriolet white/white (oldest daughter)
97 Golf, black (youngest daughter)
98 Beetle, red
94 Cabrio, dark green (oldest son)
Cogito Ergo Zoom
kuklaki
Admin Type Person

Post by kuklaki »

I did not have problem with reverse, I did have some problems every once in a while with 1st gear. We thinks that it is an alignment problem, that will be our first plan of attack. If that fails we will certainly follow your advise on what to look for.

Thanks!! Wil keep yas posted, and that gargage cam is usually on.
87 Scirocco 16v (TWINS!)
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Update

The tranny is screwed. Well, reverse is anyway. I'll have more details about that tomorrow, got too much stuff going on right now to get into it. However, the wife should be making an announcement tonight or tomorrow so look for that. :D
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
1lowcab
DropTop Pimp

Post by 1lowcab »

just seen the announcement. now you can have the cabby as a weekend/fun/toy car like mine.
If you can't beat them, drop the top and pimp by 'em!

85 Mercedes 500SEL grey market euro
Bunch of GM crap
In need of a VW lol
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

BTW folks, the cam is back up. For those of you that have viewed it before, you will notice a change. The old wrecked cabby is gone, garage clutter has been minimized and the new cabby has a home in the garage where the old cabby used to live. Unfortunatly the front of the new cabby is up in the air, but such as life. :roll:
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy

Post by sixsracing »

Sorry to hear about the transmission woes. I wish you or I were closer so I could help. What happened?
98 Beetle, red
Cogito Ergo Zoom
kuklaki
Admin Type Person

Post by kuklaki »

I went to get a much needed alignment-after a simple adjustment that Calimus made the car was undrivable without it. The shop nearest to my house is the one that broke my exhaust bracket last time, but I could not have driven to another shop.

The guy who was backing up my car ground the living daylights out of the gear-it was sloppy to begin with and apparently he was not a manual tranny guy. I put the car in reversse three times after that during the day, and did not notice any problems whatsoever. The next morning I get into the car to make a dash to work, and no amount of coaxing cursing or pleading would get the car into reverse. I tried to roll it forward a couple times, still not able to get it into gear.

I gave up and took the Scirocco to work.
87 Scirocco 16v (TWINS!)
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy

Post by sixsracing »

I had the same experience with my Vanagon at an alignment shop. When I got there the shifter had no resistance at all, felt like it was just hanging loose. I got underneath and found that the moron that had backed it off the machine had forced the linkage to the point of breaking the cup that holds the shifter ball. I'm outside on the ground and the owner's son comes out to see what I was doing, he brings me a couple of 13mm wrenches so I can try to put the linkage back together. Then the owner comes out and wants to know how I would like to PAY for the alignment. I told him when I get the bill from the dealer on the parts I was going to need to put my linkage back together I would give him a call. I wouldn't hesitate to go back to the shop and ask about some monetary help with your transmission, that's just not right.
98 Beetle, red
Cogito Ergo Zoom
bubster007

Post by bubster007 »

That is like the punk that killed my engine three times going through the gears during an emmission test then failed the car for high hydrocarbons.
I raised the roof off the building all the way to corporate but I just ended up looking like an idiot. Morons hire morons. Do be careful handing your keys across any desk. You assume all liability and suffer the full brunt of the consequences. Keep a close eye on everything and don't hesitate to ask questions. If you just don't have that warm fuzzy feeling it is probably because your butt is hanging out.
92 Cabby Triple White...de Bubster