short shifters??

If you are going to go anywhere, better make sure your tranny can handle the load. Gear changes for the power hungry should be talked about here. Is that a LSD I see in your pocket?

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

cabbit
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

short shifters??

Post by cabbit »

i'm considering getting a short shifter for my '87 5sp cabriolet, anybody know the best way to go???
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

They are all about the same. I've used both ABD and EuroSpeed and they have both done a great job. Things that can help with the feel after you install a short shift, would be a weighted selector rod. If you look around some of the sites that sell the short shifts, you should find these rods for sale as well.

Oh and when doing the short shift, it's a great time to replace all the bushings in the shifting system as well. Replacing those alone makes a world of diference.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
1lowcab
DropTop Pimp

Post by 1lowcab »

Oh and when doing the short shift, it's a great time to replace all the bushings in the shifting system as well. Replacing those alone makes a world of diference.
i would start with the bushings, then if you still don't like it get the short shift kit. i did the bushings and selector rods on mine... HUGE difference!!
If you can't beat them, drop the top and pimp by 'em!

85 Mercedes 500SEL grey market euro
Bunch of GM crap
In need of a VW lol
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy
What year is your cabby?: 1991

Post by sixsracing »

Same here, but I have been considering the short shift as well. Fast Addiction.com seems to have selection and price.
91 Cabriolet, red w/white
86 Cabriolet white/white (oldest daughter)
97 Golf, black (youngest daughter)
98 Beetle, red
94 Cabrio, dark green (oldest son)
Cogito Ergo Zoom
bubster007

Post by bubster007 »

The actual piece you buy is identical to the piece you will throw away except it is about 2 inches longer. Mine had two additional holes and I chose the one farther out on the end. I am very pleased and I do not know why they even put the center hole ( No one uses it). You could use the piece from your car or you could go to a junk yard and get the stock piece, stop by a weld shop / machine shop and in 15 minutes you have a part that is 2 inches longer with the same size hole out near the end and you saved $100.00. Throw some paint on it and presto. I would recommend a handfull of new bushings ($10.00) and a weighted shift rod. Again, You can get a piece of stock and put the weight on the rod yourself. The money you saved could buy patches for that inflatable thing you have in the closet...you know. "Sandy" the beach ball.
-
-Jez, where has your mind been lately?
92 Cabby Triple White...de Bubster
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

I bought the short shifter kit that is very generic... A weighted bar milled hose clamped to the shifting rod, and a link extender that bolted into the exsisting hole. 25 bucks or so.

http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/ForSale/ ... ml#Pricing

Gives a discount to vortexer's.... made a hell of a lot of difference, and cheaper than a neuspeed....

Remember, those with really short shifters, and low manifold pressure Step closer to the urinal so yous don't pee on the floor......

Only time I know of where you have short shifter envy......lolololol :oops:
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
kda339
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by kda339 »

I did the back yard set-up my self back in the day and I am planning on doing it again. The cost of the short shifter kits are really out there considering what you get. As for welding the peices togther I happen to have a welder at the time and made three of them for my buddies and I and worked great. However like posted eariler get new bushings. Our car is not the best when it comes down to them.
'87 Cab 2.0 16v
jemery.wa
What year is your cabby?: 1981

Re: short shifters??

Post by jemery.wa »

i did the short shift kit with the weighted rod and love it but what made it even better was replacing the shifter itself with one out of a scirocco, it brings the shifter right into your hand and you don't have to reach much for 3rd and 5th because it curves towards the driver more.
gull
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Re: short shifters??

Post by gull »

I have the MissingLinkZ kit. I bought it mainly for the metal ball-and-socket joints, which make a huge difference in feel and durability. The threaded rods also make it very easy to adjust the shifter. The shortened throw was just a bonus.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force