Axle/Transmission relationship

If you are going to go anywhere, better make sure your tranny can handle the load. Gear changes for the power hungry should be talked about here. Is that a LSD I see in your pocket?

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

sixsracing
Forum Niceguy
What year is your cabby?: 1991
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Axle/Transmission relationship

Post by sixsracing »

This isn't really a performance related question or tip but this forum hadn't had any posts in awhile and looked neglected. My 90 Cabby with a 5 speed has decided to crush the seal inside the output flange on the right side of the transmission multiple times in the year I have owned it. I thought at first it was neglect so I replaced the seal. Two weeks later (after a sprited drive through some twisties) I smelled gear oil again, so I took a look around and found a bent right control arm, I thought thecontrol arm being bent may have shortened up the distance between the steering knuckle and the transmission, thereby rubbing the end of the axle up against the output shaft ruining the seal. Now I find again the same problem. Mounts are brand new, the car has been aligned twice with no abnormal tire wear, so I don't believe she is bent. I'm slightly confused by all this and was wondering if anybody else has experience with this. I have a call in to my local parts store and they have an axle that is an inch shorter (29.5" vs. 30.5") but has the big inner joint on it. If I can swap the inner joint from axle to axle I think I'm going to try that. Anybody got any other suggestions? Keep it clean, I'm really sensitive. LOL
91 Cabriolet, red w/white
86 Cabriolet white/white (oldest daughter)
97 Golf, black (youngest daughter)
98 Beetle, red
94 Cabrio, dark green (oldest son)
Cogito Ergo Zoom
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

Interesting, i've never had the seals eb crushed or otherwise damaged other then when I'm trying to remove the things. Unless I'm thinking about the wrong seal. Are you talking about the seal behind the flange, like in between the flange and the tranny housing or the small seal thats inside the flange that basicly looks like a bottle cap?

Either way I've haven't had problems with either. If it's the bottle cap seal, maybe see if it's being crushed from the tranny side or the axel side.

If it's the other seal, what you might have is a final drive assym getting ready to go. They make a bolt kit to fix that but I'm not sure thats the problem. Definitly get as many opinions as you can as this is a bit strange.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy

Post by sixsracing »

It's the seal that looks like a bottle cap. I don't believe th final drive is coming apart, I have had them do that and there is no growling bearing noises. I have also removed the flange for inspection, (for those of you who have never done this, be very careful removing the circlip that secures the flange to the stub shaft, it is backed up by a powerful spring and it will take your head clean off if not prepared) and there was no damage or play present. If the final drive was allowing the stub shaft to come out I think it would be pretty much falling out at that point. I don't have any free time this weekend so I might be pulling another all nighter tonight. I gotta put a radiator in the new Jetta too. Have I mentioned how much I love running other peoples' problems for transportation, someday I am going to find out what it's like to buy a new car that someone hasn't screwed up.
98 Beetle, red
Cogito Ergo Zoom
1lowcab
DropTop Pimp

Post by 1lowcab »

i think you need to put a webcam in your garage like Calimus did. :)
would be some good viewing.
If you can't beat them, drop the top and pimp by 'em!

85 Mercedes 500SEL grey market euro
Bunch of GM crap
In need of a VW lol
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy

Post by sixsracing »

You know I've thought of that, but I would have to turn it off when I work on American cars because of the strong language and violence laws. LOL
98 Beetle, red
Cogito Ergo Zoom
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

nope, webcams don't adhear to FCC standards, mine never gets turned off. But you need to get the one like mine that can move around. Then we can see where you throw the tools.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
1lowcab
DropTop Pimp

Post by 1lowcab »

Then we can see where you throw the tools
LMAO!!!
If you can't beat them, drop the top and pimp by 'em!

85 Mercedes 500SEL grey market euro
Bunch of GM crap
In need of a VW lol
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy

Post by sixsracing »

It seems everyone is getting a good laugh in because of this, the manufacturer of the rebuilt axle thought it was a hoot that I was looking for a shorter axle for this application and told the parts store that I had no idea what I was talking about or doing. This is the same manufacturer (AAT ) that used to call ME for technical information when I was running parts stores. Anyway, I got the shorter axle with the big inboard joint yesterday and got up real early this morning and swapped everything over. Eureka, when the car is on the lift the right axle no longer comes down and sits on the lower control arm pivot, and when you drive rather aggressively it doesn't go whump whump either. When I go back to the store to return the defect I will find out what the new axle fit and post it in this thread. The steering was a;so affected as it doesn't load the power steering pump or the upper strut mounts on slow speed cornering anymore. I am contemplating calling this manufacturer and politely explaining to them how much and how long this process has been. Anybody got any advice? I still have quite a bit of influence with the parts store upper management and could make this rebuilder think very hard about the business relationship. Off to an all day concert. Have a good weekend.
98 Beetle, red
Cogito Ergo Zoom
bubster007

Post by bubster007 »

You would be batteling witts with some unarmed people. There is nothing to be gained. Take it on the chin. You got more than enough of their butt when you put the word out on the net. You will have numerous opportunities to twist the knife now that it is in. Maybe it was a Friday and the stock clerk's seeing eye dog was out taking a wizz.
92 Cabby Triple White...de Bubster