4speed automatic transmission...in an 88cabriolet....?

If you are going to go anywhere, better make sure your tranny can handle the load. Gear changes for the power hungry should be talked about here. Is that a LSD I see in your pocket?

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

NyceKarr
What year is your cabby?: 1988
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

4speed automatic transmission...in an 88cabriolet....?

Post by NyceKarr »

first off super newb here...with that said i want to thank you in advance for taking the time to read this, and any and all info would be extremely helpful.

1988 cabriolet karmann 4 speed automatic transmission

Now. i just recently became the owner of this beautiful machine. love it by the way, been wanting one for a long time now. she needs a lot of little things as you all know how projects go. well the reasoning for this post is simple in a sense. its not shifting from 3rd to 4th. sometimes it does when it hasnt had the chance to warm up. now i know what your going to say. its a 3 speed. it is not. it has shifted many times into 4th just not often. and when its really warmed up it wont shift into reverse. now whether its seals linkage cables whatever, im just trying to find out

a. was there ever a 4spd automatic transmission put into these in the factory? or is it from another vw?
b. how do i find out what the tranny code is. the only set of numbers ive seen read as 010 321 105.
C....where can i buy a filter kit and parts for this transmission

i as well have a back up that came with the car again with the same series of digits.

i just want to drive my car. please help

OH p.s. the shift column reads P-R-N-D-2-1 it does have cruise control (havent tryed it yet though)

thank you for your time!
Chucknyce

'88 Cabriolet
'05 Golf TDi
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: 4speed automatic transmission...in an 88cabriolet....?

Post by Briano1234 »

First all your questions can be answered on http://www.cabby-info.com or http://www.mk1vw.info.

Karmann was an assembly plant where all the Cabbies in the world were born. It was as it went bankupt about 3 years was was the body styling plant ie: Chevy's Body by Fisher.

Karmann never made any running gear for a car that I know of.

All Cabbies that are automatic and I have 2 of them have the VW 010 transmission.
There are a few varieties, due to final gearing, and or the axle size that they use. Most notably that with the advent of the 1.8 engine VW changed the axle size from 90 to 100mm.

A good chart laying out the tranny types is http://www.zelek.com/diagram_charts/diagramlist.htm

Vw never had a 4 speed automatic in a Cabriolet, they were all the 3 speed. The normal mileage that I get around town is 19-24pmg. On the road with 93 octane I can get 32 occasionally...

The shifting from second to 3rd is tied to fluid flow and the governor that is on the top of the tranny, and the adjustment of the cables that control the accelerator. The Bentley and or Haynes shows the adjustments and that by "tweaking" then a tad you can basically get the tranny to shift when you want it to. I do know that on accident you can have the car in second and go 65 mph. (not recommended)
I have read stories that a properly maintained 010 can go 400K before rebuild.

To change the filter you have to remove the skid guard, there are 3 19mm bolts that hold it in place, then there are 4 bolts on the bottom. once the pan is off then you can see the filter. The filter isn't a cloth type but a plastic screen.... They are available at most parts stores, they may have to order it in. Or you can get it on line at germanautoparts autohausaz and of course ebay.

To change the fluid on it you will need to get about 9 to 10 quarts of ATF. You will need a mighty-vac or very good lungs. You will need about 6 foot of 5/16 od vinyl tubing, a 1 quart pasta sauce jar, and a package of JB-Weld quick.

To the 1 quart pasta jar you will drill 2 5/16 in holes in the steel cap.
Cut the vinyl tubing in to a 2 and 4 foot length.
Place the tubing in to the holes on the cap as one tube goes almost to the bottom of the jar.
The other tube barely goes in and doesn't go past the screw threads on the jar.
Secure both tubes in to the holes and making them air tight by mixing the JB-Weld and placing it all around the top of the hoses, I pull the hoses up a wee bit, then when they are all covered with glue, I push them down again. This will insure that you get a "air-tight" seal. Only do the top at this time, when the JB-Weld has set, then you can do the bottom side of the jar lid. This will "air-tight" the connection, and strengthen the jar.

You can now insert the 4 foot hose via the "fill" tube in the tranny, and using the mighty-vac suck out one quart of old at a time (it is critical to know how much is coming out so you don't over-fill it.), for 3 quarts of fluid. You then add 3 quarts of fresh, and drive the car around the block. Suck out 3 more, and fill with 3 more fresh, again drive it around the block. Suck out 3 more and refill the 3 new, and top off as needed to the full mark. This will effectively "change the fluid" It still will have some diluted old in it, but I have never seen it hurt.

You can also substitute a pint of "Sea-Foam" ATF conditioner, and that will quiet it and help the tranny...It works.

Now that your ATF is good, there is also 90 weight gear oil in the differential unit. You drain that via the lower 17mm Allen plug See section 2-21 in the Bentley. Replace the plug and you can either fill it by the upper plug, or carefully remove the speedo cable from the binder (do not pull down on the cable or you will pop it off the back of the cluster) and the binder is held by 1 10mm bolt. You then add .8 quarts of 90 weight.

The Auto tranny takes 3 quarts for a fluid change, but holds 6.4 quarts of fluid if it is a "dry fill". The torque converter hold 3.4 quarts alone.

The numbers on the tranny are stamped on the rear upper of the tranny in to a flat steel face near the rear upper transmission bolt. Usual number are: TN and TNA, I did have a TJ final drive unit that was easy on gas, until a broken CV axle destroyed it.

When you say it won't go in to reverse, is that because the shifter column won't go, or the Transmission won't engage? The higher suspect here is the cable adjustments, and fluid level. Although I have seen a shifter body get contamination in it so that the valves can't push fluid.

It is most likely a valve body problem, if it isn't the cables or the fluid, and this transmission was used in a lot of Jetta's and Golfs, as well as Rabbits.... So getting one at a wrecking yard is easy.

The master rebuild kit is only about 350 with torque converter.

I wouldn't suggest taking apart a valve body unless you have the ATSG book to assist you as there are plenty of itty-bitty ball bearings that they use as check valves of different diameters, that you can drop. You can use brake cleaner and blow most of the crud away and actuate the different valves manually to get them clean.... There are no real seals in the valve body, to get damages by brake cleaner.

Wow, you asked a couple of questions and I answered by writing a book.... Sorry you asked?

If you have any other questions we are here to keep the world running on cabbies.....
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
NyceKarr

Post by NyceKarr »

:thumbup: WOW.....seriously wow....thank you. to tell the truth i was expecting a smart ass reply. or none at all. i def. appreciate the time and effort thank you. cabby-info by the way AWESOME site. as per your post i did find out though. i have a TNA 15107 in the car and a TJ 20027 on the bench. the reverse thing i mentioned, shift column goes into R tranny itself did not. only happened once so far but i also don't drive the car more then 2-5 miles at a clip.

so far engine seems strong..mileage unknown...if what the previous owner says is true i am the fourth owner of the vehicle doesn't seem necessary to research that as i am not planning on contacting any of those persons, but point being im in the process of finding out all the little things people have rigged up over time. so far just looks like a bunch of random wiring i will be going through. but main problem for now the tranny.the weird thing here is......the charts are saying i have a three speed. but unless its an overdrive the car definatly shifted into fourth. numerous times. wtf...? any clue?

now with this knowledge i believe we can get things working......THANKS AGAIN! :D
Chucknyce

'88 Cabriolet
'05 Golf TDi
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

The Tranny Shifter cable is a eyelet threw bolt affair. Sorry I don't have any good pictures of it, but it is a reallt flimsy kind of thing....Get under the car and you will see what I mean. To Adjust it.. have the car on jack stands, and some one sitting in the car.

Loosen the cable and manually move the selector to p, set it there, then have them move it to 1 a click at a time and verify that it moves one click at a time... it is a really easy adjustment.... Chances are that your cable isn't in the feed through or that it is binding in the engine compartment somehow.

Your TNA transmission is 100m axles and the TJ is 90mm by factory specs. The Beauty of these is that the Differential separates from the Tranny by 4 nuts under the Torque Converter and it is a easy change, as I have done it. If you swap the hole thing then you will need 2 differential seal kits, and swap the drive cups over from the TNA to the TJ or you will have to change axles too.

Smart-assed answers only happen ahccasionally (boston occasion) and William usually starts them... NA NA NA NA NA NA.....

This forum is one of the kindler and gentler forums on the interweb. Most folks treat people here with catty, wicked evil, and crass answers....(NOT).... Welcome to cabby-hood, ownership has its trials, tribulations, and occasional joy....

pssss I am the only one in the world that loves my auto's.

pssssst 2 You need to tell us where in the world you live ie: Kansas USA or BFegypt..... and if you don't post a picture of your car the Picture Police will remind you.....
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
NyceKarr

Post by NyceKarr »

sorry for the low res. ...... camera phone

on our way home!
getting ready... :D
its like an info-mercial....what beauty!
day of headlight conversion
all done
end result
Chucknyce

'88 Cabriolet
'05 Golf TDi
gull
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by gull »

Aw, Briano, we don't all hate 'em. ;)

I've actually come to like the automatic I got a lot better than I thought I would. I was prepared to hate it because it's a 3-speed, but it works remarkably well in this car. It shifts very nicely and generally has good manners, although it does require a heavy-footed driving style. My only real complaint is the in-town fuel economy kinda stinks, probably due to all the torque converter slip.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

NyceKarr wrote:the charts are saying i have a three speed. but unless its an overdrive the car definatly shifted into fourth. numerous times. wtf...? any clue?
The TNA is most definitely a 3-speed (it's probably kicking-down too soon and needs adjustment). As Brian said, not one Cabriolet left the factory with a 4-speed automatic. Hell, even my heavy-ass 1990 Westfalia Vanagon has a 3-speed auto in it. I do love the auto trans in it, but it sucks immensely going up hills: 3rd gear is too high, 2nd gear is too low. :x But I happily chug along in the slow lane enjoying the view while everyone else is in a hurry to get somewhere. Oh, and my 2000 Jetta also has a 3-speed auto (and cassette player!! :screwy: ).

Welcome to the Cabby Club! :beer:
NyceKarr

Post by NyceKarr »

much appreciated responses. thank you! i cant wait to get this done. will definatly repost the results as soon as time permits. i do know this though..... its getting real hot down here in heavens waiting room..... cant wait to post some beach cruisin shots!! :mrgreen:
Chucknyce

'88 Cabriolet
'05 Golf TDi
gull

Post by gull »

kamzcab86 wrote:Hell, even my heavy-ass 1990 Westfalia Vanagon has a 3-speed auto in it.
Not only that, it's the same auto trans, just with a different final drive. That gives you an idea how robust these transmissions are.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Certainly no haters here. Smart-ass's, well, we have the market cornered on that, however, we are helpful smart-ass's.

Hope you are able to get things sorted out.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C