Shifter

If you are going to go anywhere, better make sure your tranny can handle the load. Gear changes for the power hungry should be talked about here. Is that a LSD I see in your pocket?

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

x-cube
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Shifter

Post by x-cube »

I am getting my trans fixed. The 2nd gears grinds hard, but when done, I want a short throw kit. I have read the thread on short thro, not a problem. The question is I want a short throw plus a shifter level(the part you hold on to, to move the gears) from a passat B3- B5 or the Mk4 jetta/golf. Is it possible or do i have to have a trany from those models to get the stick? The passat- I love the wide short shifter and the jetta/golf love the wide shifter again(guys-nothing sexual here-LOL) Thank you
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Shifter

Post by Briano1234 »

The newer trannys have a different mechanism, I don't think that it is compatible at all.

The Short Throw kit, and Weighted billet from 4crawler is an exciting way to get maximum feel out of the tranny. You can make both which is cheaper than buying either.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Re: Shifter

Post by Calimus »

The problem with the passat/jetta/golf shifters is that they are cable shift systems. Not the linkage systems that are used in the A1's. So, without going to a MKIV style trans and cutting holes in your firewall to run the cable shift system through and fabricating the center console a bit to work with that system, you won't get the same feel.

Being that I have MKIV cars as well as A1's, I know exactly what you mean. However, a short shift kit with fresh bushings and a weight on the linkage will give you a real nice feel to the A1 shifting system. It will be a bit notchy when going into gear and not as smooth between gears, but then again, your talking about a shift system that's 20 years old. I actually like the notchy feel in my A1's as it makes me feel like I'm really shifting the car and I never have to guess if it made it into gear. The butter smooth system of the MKIV's has left me guessing a few times, but I must admit, when poking around town, it's nice to have that super smooth shift.

Now, as Brian pointed out, you can make your own short shift kit. If you aren't that industrious, I think Nuspeed and Eurosport still make A1 short shift kits. Make sure you get a bushing & linkage replacement kit as well. If you're going to do this, do it right the first time. Just be prepared to take some time aligning the linkage when you do it. It may take several times before you get things just right. And it's better to have someone in the car holding the shifter in the right neutral space when you do this then having to tighten it down, crawl out, get in and find out your a bit off, then crawl back under, etc, etc. Ask me how I know :banghead:
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C