'84 Cabby front "clicking" and brake issue

If you are going to go anywhere, better make sure your tranny can handle the load. Gear changes for the power hungry should be talked about here. Is that a LSD I see in your pocket?

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

65val
What year is your cabby?: 1984

'84 Cabby front "clicking" and brake issue

Post by 65val »

1984 (late) Cabby, 1.8L, automatic trans.

Now the problems...

1: Drivers front driveshaft area...As I'm driving down the road, I get a "clicking" noise coming from this area. When it happens, it's a rhythmic clicking, but doesn't happen all the time. It's intermittent. I have replaced the front wheel bearing and complete driveshaft on that side of the vehicle. The old bearing definitely needed replacing as it was fairly sloppy, and the inner CV joint on the old shaft was loose too. I can
also get the noise to happen by rocking the car forward and backward with it in Park and the park brake off. The noise appears to be coming from the inner CV joint / trans-axle flange area. Is there anything inside the flange area that could cause this? Any other ideas?

2: The passenger side front brake will not release completely. Driver's side is fine. It hangs up and causes that side to get fairly hot after a long drive. I have replaced the caliper and flexible brake hose on that side (actually, both sides), to no avail. Also checked the hard line from the master cylinder to where the flex hose connects, and OK...no crushed or crimped line. Does this car have a proportioning valve that may
be faulty? Am I looking at a new master cylinder?

Thanks in advance, all. My daughter's getting a little tired of Dad
always ripping her car apart and her not being able to drive it!

Darwin/Canada
'84 Cabby Wolfsburg
1.8L/Auto
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: '84 Cabby front "clicking" and brake issue

Post by Briano1234 »

65val wrote:1984 (late) Cabby, 1.8L, automatic trans.

Now the problems...

1: Drivers front driveshaft area...As I'm driving down the road, I get a "clicking" noise coming from this area. When it happens, it's a rhythmic clicking, but doesn't happen all the time. It's intermittent. I have replaced the front wheel bearing and complete driveshaft on that side of the vehicle. The old bearing definitely needed replacing as it was fairly sloppy, and the inner CV joint on the old shaft was loose too. I can
also get the noise to happen by rocking the car forward and backward with it in Park and the park brake off. The noise appears to be coming from the inner CV joint / trans-axle flange area. Is there anything inside the flange area that could cause this? Any other ideas?

2: The passenger side front brake will not release completely. Driver's side is fine. It hangs up and causes that side to get fairly hot after a long drive. I have replaced the caliper and flexible brake hose on that side (actually, both sides), to no avail. Also checked the hard line from the master cylinder to where the flex hose connects, and OK...no crushed or crimped line. Does this car have a proportioning valve that may
be faulty? Am I looking at a new master cylinder?

Thanks in advance, all. My daughter's getting a little tired of Dad
always ripping her car apart and her not being able to drive it!

Darwin/Canada
'84 Cabby Wolfsburg
1.8L/Auto

Welcome again to the bestest forum....

As I said at the other place... Master cyl is toast. But I have been thunking, and you may be hearing gear lash....
it is auto.... to eliminate the cv, you could take it off the drivers side flange, and then with the car jacked you could then spin the right tire and see if it has stopped, then you could see if it is the shaft by moving the rotor...

I have heard of replacement shafts being bad.......
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
gull
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Re: '84 Cabby front "clicking" and brake issue

Post by gull »

65val wrote:1: Drivers front driveshaft area...As I'm driving down the road, I get a "clicking" noise coming from this area. When it happens, it's a rhythmic clicking, but doesn't happen all the time. It's intermittent. I have replaced the front wheel bearing and complete driveshaft on that side of the vehicle.
Does it go away if you put your foot lightly on the brake pedal? I had a rhythmic clunking noise in a Mercedes 300 once, at low speed only, that would go away when I touched the brakes. Turned out to be missing brake pad anti-rattle springs. The rotor was out of true just enough that it would repeatedly lift and drop the pads as it went around. It made a surprisingly loud noise. It drove me nuts trying to find it until one day I turned the rotor with the wheel off and saw the pads moving.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force