Transmission oil leak

If you are going to go anywhere, better make sure your tranny can handle the load. Gear changes for the power hungry should be talked about here. Is that a LSD I see in your pocket?

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

BandB
What year is your cabby?: 1988
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Transmission oil leak

Post by BandB »

"Luvi" had an annoying drip leak from the left transmission drive flange area ( Bentley 9-16). Oil would blow back and eventually coat everything in its path. The right side was fine. Garage floor and flange showed exactly where it was coming from. I changed the output flange seal . The drips continued. Thinking I may have miss installed it I replaced it again...same result.
I had given the output flange what I thought a good visual check in the area where the seal made contact. There was some minor imperfections but they did not look like they would cause a problem. Out of ideas I ordered/installed (German Auto Parts) a new drive flange. The leaks stopped immediately. It's been 2K miles since with no signs of oil.
It was pretty dramatic how quickly the problem went away once the new flange was installed.
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Re: Transmission oil leak

Post by CalAltaDubber »

I'm glad it all worked out in the end.

There are only so many things that can fail, so it really doesn't suprise me that it was the flange.

Thanks for sharing. It is something I will keep an eye on.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image