Intake Manifolds

Add how-to's or talk about hi-end engine mods for the performance minded types.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

kda339
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Intake Manifolds

Post by kda339 »

Ok just scored two 2.0 16v complete. Without pulling the intake from my 1.8 16v to compare part numbers I thought I would ask first.

Are the intake manifolds both the same or is the 2.0 16v runners bigger. Couldn't really get a clear look at the numbers how ever the bottom portion of the manifold does have the same part number except it has a "J" after the part number and the 1.8 16v lower intake has a "G" after the number.

Someone enlighten me as I can't really tell. I'll be pulling it either way because I'm movin the 1.8 16v head to the 2.0 block.
'87 Cab 2.0 16v
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by Calimus »

If you take a quick look, you will see that the 2L intake has the t-body opening on the wrong side. So it doesn't matter. you will need to use the 1.8 intake manifold unless you want to go through all the trouble of moving all fuel related parts to the other side of the car. I personally fon't reccomend doing that.

I don't think th 2l intakes are much if any bigger anyway.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
kda339

Post by kda339 »

sounds good. I am planning on keeping everything on the pass side anyways so it wouldn't bother either way.
'87 Cab 2.0 16v
SoCal_Cabby
Postus-Whorus-Maximus
What year is your cabby?: 0

Post by SoCal_Cabby »

Calimus wrote:If you take a quick look, you will see that the 2L intake has the t-body opening on the wrong side. So it doesn't matter. you will need to use the 1.8 intake manifold unless you want to go through all the trouble of moving all fuel related parts to the other side of the car. I personally fon't reccomend doing that.

I don't think th 2l intakes are much if any bigger anyway.
not totally accurate...

all 1.8L 16v out of a scirocco are on the drivers side

but if it came from a golf/GTI/Jetta then it can be a 1.8L 16v and it is on the wrong side (but you can configure it any way you need to get the car to run)
all the 16v motors in the golf/GTI/jettas were 1.8L 16vs until '89 or '90

i dont think the 'rocco ever came with a 2.0L (but i don't know much in the history of the 'rocco)

as for the difference in the manifolds.
the 1.8L manifold is 40mm
the 2.0L manifold is 42mm

if i were you i would get a scirocco 50mm manifold and a euro intake cam for a little extra oomph
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by Calimus »

sorry if I gave the impression that all the fuel stuff was on the pass side. I ment that everything is on the drivers side and 2L 16v's are set to have it on the pass side.

The scirocco never came with a 2L which is why it's such a great swap. A little extra power and it's an easy swap compared to just about everything else. It's basicly just a swap a few parts from the 1.8 to the 2.0 and drop it in.

If I'm missing something, I'm sure I'll find out in a few weeks when I actually start this exact swap in my rocco.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
kda339

Post by kda339 »

I would spring for the 50mm one, but we're talking some big $$'s found one that is brand new and it goes for $950.00 or so. Not really sure I could fund that. Now if I was going to use forced induction then maybe. However, I'll be happy with what I have now. Thanks for the info. Now the 2.0 intake will go to the bead blast cabinet to get cleaned up and then on to be powder coated.
'87 Cab 2.0 16v