Junkyard HP for 81 Cabby 1.6litre

Add how-to's or talk about hi-end engine mods for the performance minded types.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Käfer_SS
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Junkyard HP for 81 Cabby 1.6litre

Post by Käfer_SS »

I've drilled my airbox, have a high flow air filter and flow through exhaust. Any ideas for me to pick up some cheap HP for my car without rendering reliability or decreasing fuel economy? thanks in advance
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

water injection, but it's a mild PITA to find the right sprayers.

Aside from that, you've don't just about all the low-cost things that I can think of. Starts costing some $$ from this point.

possible motor swap would be the easiest, bump up to a 1.8L 8v would net you some extra ponies and would be cheaper then turboing/supercharging. As the saying goes, there is no replacement for displacement.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Käfer_SS

Post by Käfer_SS »

cheers for the advice :beer:
bubster007

Post by bubster007 »

I hate to be the profit of doom but the extra holes do not give you anything and the disadvantages just about outweigh the advantages. Rule number one: Old engine/more horsepower/bad idea. Rule number two: There is no substitute for displacement and you are talking about one of the smallest displacement engines available in two centuries. Rule number three: Engine compartment air is HOT and that is a number one NO NO. Rule number four: An engine has to breath so an elephant in cannot become a flea coming out.The word "Olsmobile" comes to mind here. Big engines but they couldn't breath. If you drill the box but you don't do anything to the head and exhaust then you wasted your time. On a Cabby you can have an exhaust big enough to walk into and the sensors are still going to decide what goes in.The basic form of old Cabbys can't be modified and if your hard head is determined then it is going to go through your hip pocket to break even.
92 Cabby Triple White...de Bubster