Want to run megasquirt or carbs, no CIS. need help!

Add how-to's or talk about hi-end engine mods for the performance minded types.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

sk8androck4fun34
What year is your cabby?: 1993
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Want to run megasquirt or carbs, no CIS. need help!

Post by sk8androck4fun34 »

i wana get rid of my cis on my 87 cabby because its rusty, old and not working. i want alittle more room in my engine bay but also want a fresh injection system that i know i can buy parts for and work on. ive seen carbs done and heard of some people doing megasquirt but i dont know anything about swapping to either. anyone have any idea on what i would need to do?
87 VW Cabriolet
91 Jeep Wrangler YJ
bbrown
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Re: Want to run megasquirt or carbs, no CIS. need help!

Post by bbrown »

There is a guy on here named speedtek. He had a very nice Webber Carb setup on his Cabby. I would try sending him a PM for some info. If you search his posts I am sure he has a thread on here somewhere with his setup. I still think that fixing the old CIS would be easier and cheaper, but carbs are cool. If you had the money, time and patience Mega Squirt coupled with ITBs (individual throttle bodies) would be really cool, but those are usually left for the race cars. Good luck figuring out just what you want to do. :thumbup:
~Buster

1986 VW Cabriolet 1.8 5 spd.

~__|__\__
[(O)__(O)]
Exton_Dubs
What year is your cabby?: 1985
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Re: Want to run megasquirt or carbs, no CIS. need help!

Post by Exton_Dubs »

I can walk you through the carb setup I installed on my Cabby if your also interested in an ABA swap. Weber's are pretty straight forward, wouldn't waste the money on mega squirt unless you were going to also turbo it. Best bet would probably be to sort out another CIS system. The Webers are only 32mm and alot more difficult to tune than CIS. You will probably end up losing power unfortunately....
When life slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/veedubguy/